Performa has just ended in New York and there is a review of the festival on the NY Times. The writer keeps mentioning "visual art performance" and Performa also uses this term to describe the works in the festival. Are other institutions using this phrase to describe performance art, contemporary performance, and just plane performance? What is your definition?

Views: 2574

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Visual art performance Is a life performance including some sort of Visual technology.

Film, projection, tv, slides etc.

No physical body is necessary present of the performer, it could be an installation that interacts with the audience and by the audience interaction the performance is developing.

Simply what it says a performance (action that has a beginning , middle and end) with an audience within the Arts (could be dance,  theatre, life painting etc.)

and Visual Art work.

Add those three and you have visual art performance

OK, me may call our children as we want (however they will accept their names or change them in future).... But I am not agree with such definition. By the same way we may say: 

Audio art performance Is a life performance including some sort of sound technology.

No physical body is necessary present of the performer, it could be an installation that interacts with the audience and by the audience interaction the performance is developing.

Simply what it says a performance (action that has a beginning , middle and end) with an audience within the Arts (could be dance,  theatre, life painting etc.)

and Audio Art work.

Add those three and you have audio art performance...

We may construct a similar story about a soup and a salt, garlic and other spices, but does it has any sense except a fake systematics?

When I lived in Holland I did a BA in Fine art, but within that I specialized in Installation and life art and used film and photo's. After I trained on in dance (BA New Dance Development). Now living in UK and applying for a masters Visual and Performance art, they see Visual arts as a different media than Fine art. Visual referring to media technology within the arts rather than anything that is visual

In the Brighton area they even have Dance South East (the only support for dancers here) mostly supporting only focusing on Visual Art Performance , so more and more dancers start to use film as part of there work.

Not necessary a healthy development if you want to use only one media, but the term Visual Art Performance is a widely used term here.

So the art culture and the culture of different country's have there different definitions I suppose.

But for me personal it made me realize, that my late development of art work is a coming together of painting, sculpture, the body, film, sound, in performance work is not lots of different me's. It is a just coming together of that what makes sense for the first time in my life and it feels great that it has an umbrella; Visual performance art.

I assume when I see the term 'visual art performance' that it falls under the performance art umbrella and comes from an artist that, for the most part, uses a fine arts medium through a live staging.

For me this is the best and more accurate term for performances coming from the field of visual art. I do use the term. I do see visual art theater is something slightly else. This is one is exists within the frameworks of theater (and its network) yet made through a visual art perspective when comes to the listening of the materials and its dramaturgy. Even the so called post-dramatic theater I see it as much more connected to a text even when this apparently absent.

OK, the best and most accurate would be enough, but in my opinion it is not a question about a visit card but a real sense and meaning of the term. So, then my question is about the name for the performances coming from the field of music, and from poetry... Do you have any name for that?

And - when we say "performance coming from the field of visual art", do we mean authors educated as visual artists? Or visual forms only? Or more visual than others? Maybe not blind? Maybe a kind of language, strategies? Something ordinary or more subtle?

OR - which is maybe closer to the matter of fact - the reason lies in this, that people teaching performance art are often not performance artists but painters, dancers, story-tellers?

Grace Exhibition Space is also using the term Contemporary Visual Performance. it puts a focus on the visual aspect of performance art, which comes out of the visual arts, and the importance of the visual - how the performance is viewed and read from an art theory perspective - is very important to performance artists. It also updates the term Performance Art and puts into our times.

My Valentine to Performance Art, Contemporary Visual Performance, Live Art . . .

on V's Day : )

We from the JIAAP understand the art of action as something alife and therefore in permanent evolution. We will try to offer the full range of action art, from the orthodox to it's expansion in all fields of human creativity: dance, painting, architecture, poetry, video, painting, radio, new technologies, reactivity, cooking, etc.

Desde las JIAAP entendemos el arte de acción como algo vivo y por lo tanto en permanente evolución. Procuramos ofrecer el abanico completo de expansión del arte de acción, desde la mas ortodoxa a sus expansiones en todos los campos de la creatividad humana: danza, pintura, arquitectura, poesía, vídeo, pintura, radio, nuevas tecnologías, reactividad, cocina, etc. Nos interesan es especial las propuestas de formato simple, casi austero, con pocos recursos técnicos y no espectaculares que concentren la atención en la persona que trabaja y lo que hace.

I feel like I am dealing with a version of this question constantly lately and dealt with it in different ways in a recent book called Social Works.  I think that visual art performance is performance that measures its distance from the heretofore static visual art object, an expansion into spatial, durational, embodied dimensions that visual art historians called the "dematerialized" but which of course does not feel like dematerialization to anyone who began in the material world of performance.  Visual art performance also places quotation marks around its material and actions, ostensibly in a way that is more conceptual and rigorous than "theatre" frames its materials and actions.  However, when so-called visual art performance starts using characters, scripts, comedy, narrative, and clowning, the illusion of this separate category becomes harder to maintain.

I found and enjoyed this link on the subject:

http://culturebot.net/2011/11/11663/visual-art-performance-vs-conte...

The ways of creating and ways of accepted viewing and funding and marketing are what differs.

I find myself very conflicted, feeling that while much theater has failed, that many visual art performances have also failed, and there needs to be more knowledge across disciplines to move forward. Both are repeating many past experiments and claiming to be better than the other, in fact not letting the public decide.

I've been leaning toward the 'Moving Arts' myself. 

RSS

Connect

517867ba152f4c2a8e9d0d089604de85

ARTez

e1483789aef54d608911ec0e649848a6

cccac3b4ca90413a8e91eaa0db66b832

BECOME A SPONSOR

Sponsors & Partners

BECOME A SPONSOR

© 2017   Created by Caden Manson (Network Curator).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service